Forum
The Forum is where people can post topics and ideas and have others respond. It's a place for discussions and sharing, where members can learn from each other.

Advanced search
Tags
November 21, 2017, 07:35:10 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
Register or Login using a Social Network
Notes:
  1. If you don't already have an account, a new account will be created.
  2. If you already have an account but it hasn't been linked before or doesn't share the same email address, a new account will be created. Members may ONLY have one account.
  3. We will copy some information for a registration, but we will NEVER copy passwords.

December 01, 2015 - Parrot Time - Issue 18 - Issue 18 of Parrot Time is on the stands!

As always, we welcome others to contribute articles as well. http://www.parrottime.com
Register as a member to make this ad go away
Literature - Mikhail Bulgakov: The Master and Margarita

No user is in chat.
Pages: 1
Print
Author Topic: Mikhail Bulgakov: The Master and Margarita  (Read 7959 times)
Nukalurk -- Global Moderator
Full Member  Offline
GermanyMood: Confused

« on: September 17, 2010, 12:21:41 PM »

Hello!

I'm nearly done reading this wonderful book: The Master and Margarita, albeit in Russian. It is really magnificent! It is both creepy and funny, and the characters are well depicted. The language used within the book is very rich, and the author has used very vivid descriptions.

Have you already read it? What are your thoughts on it? :)

Knows German
Is learning English, French, Russian, Esperanto
Full Member  Offline

« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2010, 02:33:48 PM »

This is the first part of the first episode, then you can click to get the next ones. (There are no subtitles, though, in case you don't know Russian, but you could still enjoy the atmosphere.)
Мастер и Маргарита Episode 1 1/5

Here you can watch 490 of 500 minutes of the series, only a tiny and rather unimportant part is missing. It is really lovely. :D It is also very close to the book, and the actors have done a good job.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2010, 02:45:43 PM by Tony » Logged

Knows German
Newbie  Offline
United StatesMood: Happy
Ignore

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2012, 02:40:51 AM »

(I realize that this is an old topic, so... here it goes...)

Yay! Another fan of The Master and Margarita! :D

Personally, I love this novel. I found it fascinating how Bulgakov blended two different stories (one taking place in Jesus' time, the other in the Soviet Union in the 1930s, if I remember correctly. Although there were multiple "stories" taking place in the Soviet Union too..). I agree that it's both funny and creepy, which is one of the aspects that makes this novel so great. I also love the blend of "fantasy" and "reality" that you find in this novel, if one were to describe it using such broad terms.

I should mention that I read it six years ago (alas, in English translation), but I plan to read it again. Apparently, the translation I read (from 1967) is not as "accurate" as other later translations, so I plan to read a newer translation at some point.

I also watched the Russian TV series based on it, though years after I read the novel. Here's the first part of the first episode with English subtitles: The Master and Margarita (English subtitles). Part 1 (1 / 5)

Knows Arabic, English
Is learning German, Italian
Full Member  Offline

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2012, 07:17:00 PM »

Ooooh, another one who enjoyed it! :D Even my mum liked it, though she had read it in German. She finished it in like two days.

The story is so rich, as you have pointed out, and the writing style is also great.

By the way, "Voland" is an old German name for the devil. I believe it stems from a much older story which had been adapted to fit the Christian belief system: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wayland_the_Smith in English and http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wieland_der_Schmied in German. It is a very old story from the Germanic mythology.

The story around Jesus portrays a Jesus which is much more like the one shown in http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biblical_apocrypha where he is more human-like. He even laughs there, so he is not just the victimized scapegoat.

PS: Sorry for answering that late.

Knows German
  Tags:
Pages: 1
Print

Jump to:  

Language-Direct, the online shop for people who love to learn languages
All my gold is here!