Forum
The Forum is where people can post topics and ideas and have others respond. It's a place for discussions and sharing, where members can learn from each other.

Advanced search
Tags
December 18, 2017, 06:17:46 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
Register or Login using a Social Network
Notes:
  1. If you don't already have an account, a new account will be created.
  2. If you already have an account but it hasn't been linked before or doesn't share the same email address, a new account will be created. Members may ONLY have one account.
  3. We will copy some information for a registration, but we will NEVER copy passwords.

December 01, 2015 - Parrot Time - Issue 18 - Issue 18 of Parrot Time is on the stands!

As always, we welcome others to contribute articles as well. http://www.parrottime.com
Register as a member to make this ad go away
Logs - גשם במדבר

No user is in chat.
Pages: 1
Print
Author Topic: גשם במדבר  (Read 6600 times)
Newbie  Offline
United StatesMood: Happy
Ignore

« on: October 30, 2013, 08:18:46 PM »

As I currently don't have a log for my progress with Modern Hebrew (or Biblical for that matter), I figured I'd join the rest of you guys and make a log for my adventures in Hebrew. As I have already taken a course in Biblical Hebrew (not that that makes me an expert), and I'm just starting out in Modern Hebrew this thread will mostly be devoted to Modern Hebrew. Don't be surprised if a few notes on Biblical Hebrew make their way in from time to time though.

Updates to come.

Knows English, German, Hebrew
Is learning French, Hebrew, Greek (Ancient)
Newbie  Offline
Ignore

« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2013, 12:37:28 PM »

For starters, I figured I'd catalogue the resources I'm using to learn Modern Hebrew:
Modern Hebrew for Beginners: A Multimedia Course by Raizen
Modern Hebrew: An Essential Grammar by Glinert

I also have a dictionary.

Anyway, grammar time.

So far I've done one lesson of Raizen, and three sections of Glinert (there aren't really any chapters). Both books mostly have gone over simple word order and the lack of a verb "to be" in A = B sentences. I've also learned that questions in colloquial Hebrew do not have any change in word order. The only real change in the spoken language is a change in intonation, and in the written language a question mark. There is a special word in formal Hebrew to form a question, but I haven't really gone over that yet.

I've also gone over the definite article ה, which in colloquial Hebrew is always pronounced 'ha'. It's nice to not have to learn all the different pronunciations of the article, like I had to in Biblical Hebrew.

More to come.

Newbie  Offline
Ignore

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2013, 12:44:11 AM »

I'm starting to get into the verbal system for Modern Hebrew, which is pretty much the same as Biblical, in form anyway. The uses might not always exactly line-up.

A perfect example of this is the present tense in Modern. In Biblical this was the participle, which would have been understood as present tense of the verb among other things. It could also be understood as an adjective, or a substantive. This website explains it better then I can at the moment:
http://www.hebrew4christians.com/Grammar/Unit_Five/Participles/participles.html
We never really went over this much in our class over the summer.

Still it's interesting to make note of such things. I'm sure there will be more as I go through my studies.

Newbie  Offline
Ignore

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2013, 02:55:13 AM »

I got a little fed up with flipping back and forth to the computer and the workbookish feel of Raizen's textbook to continue on with it. Luckily I've found a new better textbook! Israeli Hebrew for Speakers of English by Peter Cole et al.

I'm going to go through the first lesson (which is largely what I've already learned grammar-wise) and more on from there.

More to come. Grin

Sr. Member  Offline
Jasminedesi16
Ignore

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2013, 01:10:00 AM »

Nice log  Grin Your updates are interesting, it's quite interesting to see the resemblence of Hebrew to Arabic.

Knows Pashto, English
Is learning Hindi, Japanese, Arabic, Bengali, French
Newbie  Offline
Ignore

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2013, 03:42:41 PM »

Yeah, it is interesting to see that. I've caught the Semitic bug and plan to learn Arabic and Amharic too, so hopefully knowing some Hebrew will pay off for those as well.

Which reminds me, I haven't updated with log in a while. I'll work on updating it either day or tomorrow.

Newbie  Offline
Ignore

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2014, 12:10:41 AM »

Not that I've posted much for Hebrew lately, but when I do from now on, it'll be in the language log section. I've started one for Burmese, and figure I might as well for the rest of my current language studies.

Sr. Member  Offline
Jasminedesi16
Ignore

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2014, 12:38:05 AM »

Hey Ksiezycowy, I was wondering are you listeming to any news/music/tv in Burmese? I was just kind of curious because I never seen anything like that for Burmese. Besides VOA lol

Knows Pashto, English
Newbie  Offline
Ignore

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2014, 12:52:51 AM »

I have found some TV channels, and a new site or two. There isn't much I've found however. I can try to dig up those links if you're interested.

I haven't really been listening too anything aside from my lesson audio though, so, you know.

Sr. Member  Offline
Jasminedesi16
Ignore

« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2014, 08:21:33 PM »

I have found some TV channels, and a new site or two. There isn't much I've found however. I can try to dig up those links if you're interested.

I haven't really been listening too anything aside from my lesson audio though, so, you know.
Yeah I'd be interested in them, thanks so much :) I was just curious because Burmese seems like so hard to find TV or radio in.

Knows Pashto, English
  Tags: Hebrew  Modern Hebrew  Biblical Hebrew 
Pages: 1
Print

Jump to:  

Language-Direct, the online shop for people who love to learn languages
All my gold is here!