Forum
The Forum is where people can post topics and ideas and have others respond. It's a place for discussions and sharing, where members can learn from each other.

Advanced search
Tags
December 18, 2017, 06:16:22 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
Register or Login using a Social Network
Notes:
  1. If you don't already have an account, a new account will be created.
  2. If you already have an account but it hasn't been linked before or doesn't share the same email address, a new account will be created. Members may ONLY have one account.
  3. We will copy some information for a registration, but we will NEVER copy passwords.

December 01, 2015 - Parrot Time - Issue 18 - Issue 18 of Parrot Time is on the stands!

As always, we welcome others to contribute articles as well. http://www.parrottime.com
Register as a member to make this ad go away
Challenges - The 6 Week Challenge

No user is in chat.
Pages: 1
Print
Author Topic: The 6 Week Challenge  (Read 6331 times)
Newbie  Offline
BrazilMood: Happy
Ignore

« on: October 29, 2013, 02:22:48 AM »

tl;dr: tricours and me are carrying the #Parleremo flag in the 6 week challenge to improve a target language in November promoted by the HTLAL :) Would you like to go berserk on your studies and track the progress? Read the instructions. Let's keep this thread for updates regarding this challenge

popcorm1

6 Week Challenge

Make more time for studying. See how much progress you can make in a language in 6 weeks. Compare yourself with others.
Details at the HTLAL forum.
Read about using the bot here.

How to...

The 6 Week Challenge is a challenge to upgrade your language skills in one language from beginner to something more worthwhile,and to see if you can find more time to study languages when competing with other participants in a global highscore. 6 Week Challengesstart on February 1st, May 1st, August 1st and November 1st every year, so there is a rough 6 weeks on / 6 weeks off pattern.Note that you can only do the 6 Week Challenge with a language that you're a beginner at or lower-intermediate at most.This allows for a more just comparison between participants.

You do not have to use Twitter in order to participate in the 6 Week Challenge.However, this awesome stats page relies on people posting updates in tweets. In other words, if you wantto be part of the highscore, you have to have a Twitter user name. (You do not need to install anysoftware and you do not have to spend your life reading Twitter.)
Register

If you want to participate without being tracked on this website, you may register by posting in a 6 Week Challenge threadat HTLAL.

If you want to participate and track your progress here, you have to (additionally or only) message your registration to thetracking bot. For this, go to Twitter.com, log in and tweet something along the lines of
@6WCBot I want to #register to study #German intensively in November. #HTLAL user; working #part-time.
The exact wording and the order doesn't matter at all, just the tags.
  • #register or #reg to declare that you're participating(required)
  • #German (or another language) to indicate your target language for the month (required). Only one language can be your targetand your level must be below intermediate, because the idea of the 6 Week Challenge is to make giant progress in one language.However, the bot can register the maintenance work you do on other languages as well.You may optionally identify yourself as a member of one of the following sites, to form a team:
    #Aboutcom
    #AJATT
    #Anki
    #Duolingo
    #HTLAL
    #Pod101
    #Reddit
    #Tadoku
    #Transparent
    #Unilang
    This is for group comparisons. Traditionally, most 6WC participants have come from the #HTLAL forum.
  • You may also optionally indicate your work status outside of language study - are you employed #full-time, #part-time or are you #free at the moment?Someone who works #full-time will obviously have few hours for language study. This is indication is also for statistics purposes, so that you can compare yourself to others with a similar workload as yourself.

The bot will reply to confirm your registration or to confirm your score. However, due to the nature of Twitter,you will only see the bot's replies if you look at your "Mentions" or if you're following@6WCBot.
Change your registration or Leave

If you later want to change your registration, tweet something like @6wcbot #change my team to #Reddit and work as #free. You can use any of the same tags as for registering.Note that you cannot change your language once you have started logging, only before.

If you want to drop out of the challenge and not be listed in the high score anymore, tweet @6wcbot #unregister.
Get Good Scores

When you have studied something, or at the end of the day, you should post an update to the bot, so that it can update your score and your rank.Additionally, this will keep other 6 Week Challenge participants informed. Maybe you even want to post something that youjust read in/about your target language.

For example, an update might look like
@6WCBot I studied 1 hour and 45 minutes of #Deutsch using #Anki today. Ich spreche noch kein Deutsch.
Of this, only the time and the language tag are required. Instead of #Deutsch you could also use #German, #de or #deu.The #Anki tag is just for your own statistics - you could make a #tyger tag if that makes sense to you, name them whatever you like.During and after the challenge, this website will be able to tell you how much time you spent on each activity this way.
For the time, the bot can understand "2 hours", "120 minutes" or "120min" as well as any combination of these.However, you need to write a separate update for each language if you did work on more than one language.You can do any activity - studying textbooks, doing Anki, Listening-Reading, even watching movies in your target language.However, please consider whether you are focussing on the language. If you're doing something where the language is notyour one and only focus (e. g. ironing while playing a podcast in the background, or watching a TV show where you mostlyfocus on the native-language subtitles and don't intently listen to the target-language audio), please only award yourself a fraction of the minutes,corresponding to the percentage of your attention that you gave to the target language.For 60 minutes of studying to count as 60 minutes in this scoring, you have to be 100% focussed on learning your target language.

Work done on your target language contributes to BOTH the target language score and the overall score.Work done on other languages only contributes to your overall score, so you will be tempted to do more for your target language.Think carefully about which language you really want to push ahead this time. You must at most be lower-intermediate in itthough, better to be a complete beginner. We want to see progress.

To undo your last update (if you mistyped), type
@6wcbot #undo
To undo an earlier update, identify it by the language and amount of time, e. g.
@6wcbot #undo 20 minutes #Esperanto
Note that this only works if you had an update where you studied exactly 20 minutes ofEsperanto. If you logged 25 minutes but intended to write 5, you cannot use this, youfirst have to undo the 25 minutes and then re-add 5 minutes.

One last tip: normally, only those who follow both you and the bot will see what you write to it.To make your tweet visible to everyone, start it with a dot (.@6WCBot) or include @6WCBot somewhere other than the beginning.

Contact @Junesun or e-mail yutian DOT mei AT gmail DOT com if you have any questions or encounter any issues.

Have fun! Good luck with your language studies!

Knows Portuguese, English
Is learning Spanish, Esperanto, German
Jr. Member  Offline
NorwayMood: Sad
tricours

« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2013, 07:02:45 PM »

(We should probably have this moved to the Challenge subforum.)

What activities are you going to use, soldeace? I was thinking of having the following:
#reading (obviously, plus I've found a load of like... actual Bulgarian books, not just Twilight, which is honestly killing me by now)
#anki (which I will have to start doing in a more organized way, considering how I now do 20 reps here and here during the day)
#writing (even though measuring it in minutes is a bit weird to me...)

At the end of each day, we can re-post our tweets here!

Knows Norwegian Bokmål, Swedish, English, French, Russian
Is learning Ukrainian, Old Church Slavonic, Bulgarian
Newbie  Offline
Ignore

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2013, 07:25:13 PM »

I think the four basic skills (#reading, #writing, #speaking, #listening) plus #anki :)

Jr. Member  Offline
tricours

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2013, 02:02:45 PM »

So, how's your challenge doing? I don't believe I've hit 3 hours yet, so naturally my rating is pretty pitiful. I've only done #reading and #anki so far, but today I listened to some radio as well, so yay, my first #listening post (only 30 mins in total). And the book I randomly chose to start reading (like volume 2 of some guy's short stories) just turned out to be brilliant, and not at all hard to read! It *is* depressing that my utterly awesome Kindle tells me it will take me 28 hours to finish it though.

I didn't know you used anki! So many people refuse to listen to reason. Anki is great.

Newbie  Offline
Ignore

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2013, 12:07:27 PM »

What? Anki is scientifically amazing! And I find the theory of spaced repetition even better when coupled with mnemonic techniques.

Things here were at snail pace until my exam, now it's full throttle. I'm just experiencing some difficulties posting updates on Twitter due to my capped 3G connection.

Jr. Member  Offline
tricours

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2013, 04:29:08 PM »

Well, I'm back from my little holiday, during which all I managed to do was my ANKI reps and read 2000+ kindle locations of Bulgarian (3500 is like a normal sized book of 250-300 pages or something like that). And some minimal listening. I'm hoping to step it up a bit now that I'm back, but my non-Bulgarian books seem to think differently >_> I think my current position in the challenge is pretty pitiful. So pitiful, in fact, that I'm not even gonna check it Tongue

Tags:
Pages: 1
Print

Jump to:  

Language-Direct, the online shop for people who love to learn languages
All my gold is here!