Forum
The Forum is where people can post topics and ideas and have others respond. It's a place for discussions and sharing, where members can learn from each other.

Advanced search
Tags
August 22, 2017, 02:59:20 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
Register or Login using a Social Network
Notes:
  1. If you don't already have an account, a new account will be created.
  2. If you already have an account but it hasn't been linked before or doesn't share the same email address, a new account will be created. Members may ONLY have one account.
  3. We will copy some information for a registration, but we will NEVER copy passwords.

December 01, 2015 - Parrot Time - Issue 18 - Issue 18 of Parrot Time is on the stands!

As always, we welcome others to contribute articles as well. http://www.parrottime.com
Register as a member to make this ad go away
Translations - Translations for the "Readings"-section

No user is in chat.
Pages: 1
Print
Author Topic: Translations for the "Readings"-section  (Read 3464 times)
Jr. Member  Offline
NorwayMood: Sad
tricours
Ignore

« on: September 24, 2013, 09:06:50 PM »

Hello everyone!

I am very interested in literature, and I have always used dual texts in my learning. I thought it would be nice to add a section with actual literature for more advanced (or just ambitious) learners. And I'm very glad that we got an author on-board: Ais! Ais has co-authored an awesome dystopian/futuristic series which you can have a look at here.

So, as you may or may not have noticed, the "Readings" part of Parleremo is being expanded. New texts will be added soon, and everyone who enjoys translating and who is good at their native language is free to help translate. The first text that has been added is the Gothic poem in prose entitled "stonework". You can translate it into another language by going here and choosing "Story" and your native language. You will find it as Level 3 in the "Readings" section, and we currently have it in 4 languages, but Dutch is on its way so don't add a Dutch translation! ;)

If you are new to translating, please read through all the information before you start translating!

The point of the texts here is not to give literal, stilted translations in unnatural language. These texts are for intermediate or advanced learners, so what we want to get across is the meaning as it would be rendered in the language in question.
Don't worry if something just cannot be said in your language the same way as in the English original - just say it some other way. That's what translation is all about.

If you're an experienced translator, all of this is probably superfluous, but if you're not, please keep the following things in mind:

1. Please keep the sentence or paragraph boundaries intact! Aside from that, you are free to rearrange clauses within sentences as you feel necessary.
2. Word order in one language does not necessarily match word order in another language.
3. Expressions in one language certainly do not correspond to identical expressions in other languages. Try to keep your language idiomatic.
If you have trouble translating a sentence or an expression, you can discuss it here. We can help each other paraphrase difficult sections to come up with new ideas of translating them.
4. Once you are finished, read through your text without looking at the original to see if it works as an independent text. Does it sound like a translation to you?

If you yourself have writing ambitions or have friends who do, encourage them to submit texts. We would also very much like texts in other languages that can be translated into English.

I will post notices in this thread when new texts and translations are added.

If I've forgotten to mention something, please tell me!

Knows Norwegian Bokmål, Swedish, English, French, Russian
Is learning Ukrainian, Old Church Slavonic, Bulgarian
Jr. Member  Offline
tricours
Ignore

« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2013, 09:11:21 PM »

NEW TEXT: I am starting to translate another text by Ais now, it's a more typical story about a girl and her day working on a farm. The language is probably not particularly difficult. The text is 1838 words in total. Please PM me your email if you wish to help translate it right away before it can be found in the system! It starts like this:

A Change of Pace
by Ais

"Rise and shine, Elle! It's time to get going!"

"Oh my God," Ellery groaned.

She shoved her head into the pillow and clutched it to her face. If she squeezed her eyes shut hard enough, maybe the voice would disappear.The faint hum of the fan droned in the background. The windows were open, letting in the cool morning breeze before the sun could rise and boil everyone below. She heard the whisper of fabric as the sheers shifted in the wind. The quiet morning lulled her back to sleep until--

"Ellery Mae Jackson, you get down here right now!"

"Goddd!" It was meant to be an indignant shout but it became a strangled whine.

It took every effort Ellery had to roll off the bed, and it left no strength for her legs. She dropped to the hardwood floor. It was a moment of dramatics that was wasted, as no one else was in the room to see it or sympathize.

Newbie  Offline
BrazilMood: Happy
Ignore

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2013, 04:12:28 AM »

I should have seen this earlier. This is actually very good stuff and truly a great addition to the site! I'm going to translate it to Portuguese as soon as I feel inspired  dance2

Knows Portuguese, English
Is learning Spanish, Esperanto, German
Jr. Member  Offline
tricours
Ignore

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2013, 09:02:26 AM »

Yay! I have another text as well, 700 words, which is witty and I believe not too difficult. Just tell me if you want access to either one and I can send a prepped document. I haven't gotten farther than like 1000 words on text nr 2 due to some tendinitis issues and being quite busy in general.

Jr. Member  Offline
tricours
Ignore

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2013, 07:17:56 PM »

The two texts "Wrong number" (700 words) and "A change of pace" (1800 words) have now been added to the Readings! Feel free to translate them :) (I'm waiting for a translation of "Wrong number" into Dutch, but all other languages are still "available").

Newbie  Offline
BrazilMood: Happy
Ignore

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2014, 11:58:14 PM »

nice project :) i'll take a better look at it later :D

Knows Brazilian Portuguese, English, Japanese, German, Polish
Is learning Norwegian Bokmål, Korean, Arabic, Finnish
  Tags: translation  readings  texts 
Pages: 1
Print