Forum
The Forum is where people can post topics and ideas and have others respond. It's a place for discussions and sharing, where members can learn from each other.

Advanced search
Tags
November 21, 2017, 07:36:16 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
Register or Login using a Social Network
Notes:
  1. If you don't already have an account, a new account will be created.
  2. If you already have an account but it hasn't been linked before or doesn't share the same email address, a new account will be created. Members may ONLY have one account.
  3. We will copy some information for a registration, but we will NEVER copy passwords.

December 01, 2015 - Parrot Time - Issue 18 - Issue 18 of Parrot Time is on the stands!

As always, we welcome others to contribute articles as well. http://www.parrottime.com
Register as a member to make this ad go away
Culture - House Hunters International ... living in other countries

No user is in chat.
Pages: 1
Print
Author Topic: House Hunters International ... living in other countries  (Read 7161 times)
Gizmo -- Chat Operator
Newbie  Offline
United StatesMood: Happy
abavagada ezidowecki abavagada
Ignore

« on: March 03, 2012, 06:58:18 PM »

There is an American TV show called "House Hunters International". As the title suggests, its about people looking for houses in other countries. The format of the show is that we follow the "hunters", along with a local realtor, as they look at 3 different houses, chosen according to the people's wishes and budget limitations. At the end of the show, we get to see them weighing the pros and cons, then making a choice. Finally, we get to see how they have done with the purchase after a period of time (sometimes a few weeks, other times, a few months).

Most of the time, it is Americans, but there are also often people from other parts of the world making a move. Also, not all hunts are for full-time houses and moving.. many are just for vacation homes. Each show is just half an hour.

The show is interesting for many reasons. First, there is a always several views of the hunters interacting with natives of the country they are looking in, so you get to see something of a different culture. From a language interest view, we get to see the hunters talking to locals.. or trying to.

As an American, what I am always a bit surprised and ashamed of is how often the Americans complain about the lack of space, lack of appliances (dishwashers, air conditioning, etc), or just flat out show a direct conflict with their stated intentions. For example, one show was an American couple wanting to get a house in Morocco, claiming to love the Moroccan style of houses, yet each house they viewed, they complained about size and layout and style. In the end, they bought a plot of land and built an American style house on it.

While watching the show, I am always struck by the differences, sometimes small, sometimes large, between styles of living around the world. What are some "odd", to your thinking, things that you have seen in the housing of other countries? For example, many of the bathrooms had toilets in separate rooms.. literally a "bath room" and a "water closet". To Americans, that is very odd: a bathroom has a toilet, period. Even rooms with toilets that don't have bath tubs or showers are still called "bathrooms".

Also, if anyone has seen the show, what are some things you've seen on it that you like or don't like?

Erik / Aba

Knows English, Italian
Is learning Italian
Sr. Member  Offline
Jasminedesi16
Ignore

« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2012, 01:11:30 AM »

I love this show!!! I watch it like every friday  Grin

Knows Pashto, English
Is learning Hindi, Japanese, Arabic, Bengali, French
Sr. Member  Offline
Jasminedesi16
Ignore

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2012, 07:30:51 AM »

Oh God, last Friday there was this girl moving to a real historical part of Italy. She had a low budget and wanted a real old building. And she complained about everything in every house. Even the relater basically rolled her eyes at her. She wasn't even willing to do renovations or anything. She was just ridiculous. Oh and there was this one Army couple who had to move to Azores and they seemed nice but they were absolutely shocked at how different it was. Tongue I also saw the Cannes episode which I aboustly loved! Cannes was beautiful.

Knows Pashto, English
Sr. Member  Offline
Jasminedesi16
Ignore

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2012, 06:59:47 PM »

Anyone watch the Irish mrarathon last night? It was AWESOME. :glasses1:

Knows Pashto, English
Gizmo -- Chat Operator
Newbie  Offline
abavagada ezidowecki abavagada
Ignore

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2012, 03:29:04 PM »

I missed the Irish Marathon. When was it on? Was it all with people moving to Ireland?

I saw one last night with a woman moving from Iowa, USA (big fields) to an apartment in the heart of Amsterdam. She wanted to bring her two boxers, so needed space and outdoor area, but still wanted to be in the center of town. Why do people never seem to make that connection... center of town = little space, high prices? Or center of town = busy streets and lots of noise.

Erik / Aba

Knows English, Italian
Is learning Italian
Sr. Member  Offline
Jasminedesi16
Ignore

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2012, 01:56:17 AM »

I missed the Irish Marathon. When was it on? Was it all with people moving to Ireland?

I saw one last night with a woman moving from Iowa, USA (big fields) to an apartment in the heart of Amsterdam. She wanted to bring her two boxers, so needed space and outdoor area, but still wanted to be in the center of town. Why do people never seem to make that connection... center of town = little space, high prices? Or center of town = busy streets and lots of noise.

Erik / Aba
It was on st.Patricks day :D lol It was Ireland/Scotland though.

Yeah I don't get it either, if you want space move out to the country. I hate when people say they want to be in the middle of town and then complain about how close their neighbors are.

Knows Pashto, English
  Tags:
Pages: 1
Print

Jump to:  

Language-Direct, the online shop for people who love to learn languages
All my gold is here!