Forum
The Forum is where people can post topics and ideas and have others respond. It's a place for discussions and sharing, where members can learn from each other.

Advanced search
Tags
February 23, 2018, 03:15:36 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
Register or Login using a Social Network
Notes:
  1. If you don't already have an account, a new account will be created.
  2. If you already have an account but it hasn't been linked before or doesn't share the same email address, a new account will be created. Members may ONLY have one account.
  3. We will copy some information for a registration, but we will NEVER copy passwords.

December 01, 2015 - Parrot Time - Issue 18 - Issue 18 of Parrot Time is on the stands!

As always, we welcome others to contribute articles as well. http://www.parrottime.com
Register as a member to make this ad go away
Translations - Translating Tamil

No user is in chat.
Pages: 1
Print
Author Topic: Translating Tamil  (Read 3989 times)
Newbie  Offline
CanadaMood: Happy
   dEhiN dEhiN
Ignore

« on: March 15, 2011, 03:14:08 PM »

Hi moderators, I'm wondering when translating Tamil words/phrases on this site, if I should use the standard Indian Tamil form of the standard Sri Lankan Tamil form? Most of the time the two forms are the same. But there are some situations where they differ (in specific words or perhaps even the whole phrase).

I personally know the Sri Lankan form, and the resources I have available to me (family) would translate the Sri Lankan form for me. But I do know that universities that have Tamil courses teach the Indian form.

Thanks.

Knows English
Is learning French, Portuguese, Spanish, Tamil, Swedish
Administrator
Jr. Member  Offline
BahamasMood: Happy
parleremo parleremo

« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2011, 03:35:15 PM »

I did not know there was a difference. For now, I would suggest using the one you are most comfortable with, since you are the only one that is translating any of them yet (which I greatly  appreciate!). When we have more people that can also translate, I am sure there will be a discussion on the best way to handle it.

Thanks!

Knows English
Sr. Member  Offline
United StatesMood: Happy
Jasminedesi16
Ignore

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2011, 01:32:30 AM »

I would suggest doing Indian Tamil, only because it's more spoken and used in most media. Although Sri Lankan Tamil sounds very beautiful and I think is closer to Classical Tamil.

Knows Pashto, English
Is learning Hindi, Japanese, Arabic, Bengali, French
  Tags:
Pages: 1
Print

Jump to:  

Language-Direct, the online shop for people who love to learn languages
All my gold is here!