Forum
The Forum is where people can post topics and ideas and have others respond. It's a place for discussions and sharing, where members can learn from each other.

Advanced search
Tags
June 26, 2017, 12:30:06 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
Register or Login using a Social Network
Notes:
  1. If you don't already have an account, a new account will be created.
  2. If you already have an account but it hasn't been linked before or doesn't share the same email address, a new account will be created. Members may ONLY have one account.
  3. We will copy some information for a registration, but we will NEVER copy passwords.

December 01, 2015 - Parrot Time - Issue 18 - Issue 18 of Parrot Time is on the stands!

As always, we welcome others to contribute articles as well. http://www.parrottime.com
Register as a member to make this ad go away
Linguistics - Moods vs. Tenses

No user is in chat.
Pages: 1
Print
Author Topic: Moods vs. Tenses  (Read 5683 times)
Gizmo -- Chat Operator
Newbie  Offline
United StatesMood: Happy
abavagada ezidowecki abavagada
Ignore

« on: January 29, 2011, 04:55:42 PM »

A few days ago, I asked a question in the chat which prompted a short discussion. I asked about the naming of a verb form in Italian, because in some resources I had, it was called a tense, but in another I had, it said that was incorrect.

What exactly are tenses and moods in linguistics? We use the terms, but I've never heard them actually defined.

The discussion also seemed to suggest that a mood in one language might be a tense in another.
This might sound like a simple question to people that have been studying languages for a long time, but when you need to explain it to someone, there seems to be some debate over what is what. I've been working on grammars, and want to be able to explain things clearly.

Please help me out here.

Knows English, Italian
Is learning Italian
Wow wow wow :D
Newbie  Offline
BrazilMood: Happy
ribeirodantasdm
Ignore

« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2011, 05:06:12 PM »

Hey Aba,

Moods seem to be attached to the way the verb is acting, whereas tenses are straight linked to time. I think it's a good definition, isn't it?

According to Wikipedia ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grammatical_mood ), In linguistics, grammatical mood is a grammatical (and specifically, morphological) feature of verbs, used to signal modality. That is, it is the use of verbal inflections that allow speakers to express their attitude toward what they are saying (for example, whether it is intended as a statement of fact, of desire, of command, etc.)

Maybe there could be a better explanation if you tell us the verb form you were looking for a name. Hope it helps :)

vuln

Knows Portuguese, English, Italian, Spanish, German, Russian
Is learning Russian
Sr. Member  Offline
Jasminedesi16
Ignore

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2014, 07:41:40 PM »

Actually I was just reading about this and I don't understand the difference at all.  sorry

Knows Pashto, English
Is learning Hindi, Japanese, Arabic, Bengali, French
Newbie  Offline
   HTLanguages
Ignore

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2014, 06:42:34 PM »

Hi!

I might be able to help explain a little.  

Tense is time based.  Simplified, tenses are indicators of "when" (now, in the past, in the future).

Within the tenses, can exist "moods" which can explain more about the action than the tense.

Some examples of "mood":
indicative- for stating facts
Subjunctive- expresses hypothetical "what if," "I wish," "I would," "I could" type staements.
Imperative- for stating commands

Does that make sense?

Knows English, French, German
Is learning Spanish, Chinese
Sr. Member  Offline
Jasminedesi16
Ignore

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2014, 09:17:06 PM »

Yeah that makes a lot more sense. Thanks for explaining!

Knows Pashto, English
Is learning Hindi, Japanese, Arabic, Bengali, French
  Tags:
Pages: 1
Print

Jump to:  

Language-Direct, the online shop for people who love to learn languages
All my gold is here!