Clock Tower - Clock
- To ask what time it is in English, you use "What time is it?".
- To reply for noon and midnight, you can use "It is noon." for noon and "It is midnight." for midnight.
- The time is given by using "It is" + the number of the hour + "o'clock".
1:00 = It is one o'clock.
2:00 = It is two o'clock.
- For the minutes of the hour, you would drop the "o'clock" and add on the number of minutes.
2:10 = It is two ten.
- You can also express time using "before" + the minutes before the next hour.
4:40 = It is twenty before five..
- There are specific words for quarterly times.
quarter = 15 past or before (quarter)
2:15 = It is (a) quarter after two.
2:45 = It is (a) quarter before three.
half past = 30 past (half)
2:30 = It is half past two.